Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not-Ugly Car Trash Bag

I was able to complete my latest project in one day, probably about 3 hours. I'm feeling more confident about sewing and am getting more proficient at it! Still not great, but better with each project!! The other ones I've done all had a diagram of how to measure and cut your fabric. This one only gave me dimensions, so I had to plan and measure more accurately.

Here are the pieces all cut out and the strap is already made, with buckle attached. I'm getting pretty good at making double-fold bias tape!!


Front of bag:


Hanging bag:


I think if I were to make another one, I'd try to find some sort of plastic lining since this is to be used for trash. Thankfully it'll be in the car, so not too much stuff that will be sticky and messy. On second thought, I have kids...I take that back!! Maybe this one will have to be a gift for someone...

Things I learned:
*How to make/attach binding to add some flare.
*Box stitch for reinforcing straps.
*Attach a "parachute buckle", the clasp for the strap.
*To zigzag the seem allowance for reinforcement.
*Think ahead of what the project will be used for, and then plan and make necessary personal changes/additions to the project. i.e. The lining.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Molly, it looks so good! If you decide you want to make another one with a liner, let me know and I may let you make one for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Joann Fabric online and pick out a fabric you like. It calls for home decor weight. I'd be delighted to make one for you...yours could be my trial one with a liner, so if it doesn't work out well, you can't complain!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw that you replied, since I have been out of town. I will look at fabrics today!!

    ReplyDelete