Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pillow Cases

After my last project, I needed to do something easy. I have a few other projects planned, but in the meantime I made some pillow cases for the kids. I used a different book I have called Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter. The pillow case pattern is in the Nest chapter. I foresee future projects from this book!

Liam picked out another Batman pattern and I picked out Tinker Bell for Nora, as this is her current fave.

After measuring and cutting, you need to fold, press and sew each seam on the open end of the pillow case.



Then you fold one hem 4 inches and press it flat. This is the closure of complete case:


You then place each side together, wrong side out, and turn the flap over and pin like this:


Then sew around the three edges. Trim corners and do a zig-zag stitch around hem to keep it from fraying:


Your machine may try to eat the edges if it moves over too far:


Here's a close-up of the finished open edge and one of the flap inside:



Finally, sneak into your sleeping kids' rooms and put the pillow cases on their pillows so they can wake up to them in the morning!


Please don't mind the ripped wall decal...Nora likes to pick!

Things I learned:
*Zig-zag stitch inside hems to keep them from fraying.
*Sometimes it's a good thing to pick an easy project.
*There is satisfaction in straight lines.
*Doing a simple project is very calming.
*Don't hit the wall with your camera when sneaking into a sleeping child's room to take a picture of said child.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Love the lessoned learned.
    This is easier said than done. I suck at straight lines.
    Would love to have been there to see their reactions.
    I heart Tinkerbell.

    ReplyDelete