Saturday, September 11, 2010

Firefighter's Hat

This is the Firefighter's Hat from One Yard Wonders. I made it for one of Liam's friends, for his birthday. He is crazy about anything firefighter, so I thought it'd be perfect!

I didn't take pictures until after I got going...I was really on a roll with this thing! First, I had to cut twelve triangles for the crown of the hat. 6 of those got fusible interfacing ironed on and then I sewed those together to make the underside of the crown:


Then I sewed the other six together to make the top of the crown and sewed on some patches:


This part of the crown is sitting on top of the interfaced part.

The brim was fairly easy. I put interfacing on both pieces and then sewed them together:

I didn't cut the hole out until after sewing the two pieces together. After cutting the hole, that is how I turned the brim right side out.

Then I cut plastic canvas, like you would use for cross-stitching, into the shape of the brim and stuffed it inside:


I cut the hole out of the canvas in order to sew in the crown pieces. This part of the sewing was the most technical part of the project. The book called for hand-stitching it in, but I really, really don't like to hand stitch. So I used my machine and made it work!

The front of the hat:


The back of the hat:


The side view of the hat:


I may have more pictures after I give this to the little guy...can't wait to see him try it on!!

Things I learned:
*To shape a hat using triangular pieces.
*Interfacing plus plastic canvas gives great shape!
*When something calls for hand-stitching, I can make it work otherwise!!
*It's very motivating when I'm making something for someone else, with a birthday deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment